Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Ticks Me Off

Okay, so I need to vent. I got this forward today (and I'm not mad at the sender by any means), but I'm tired of getting forwards that aren't true. I got one about abortion today and how Obama is signing the Freedom of Choice Act which will allow women to have abortions anytime, "also allowing babies who are born alive due to botched up late term abortions, to be set aside without any medical care or nourishment and left to die (most of these babies have no medical problems and most of the ones that do, have things like cleft palates, club feet, things that are correctable, still they are murdered in the most cruel and inhuman way." So I thought this must be a bunch of hooey, so I went online and looked it up. I read the entire actual document that has been before Congress and it doesn't state anything like that. It says, "a woman's right to choose to terminate her pregnancy is absolute only prior to fetal viability, with the state permitted to ban abortion after fetal viability except when necessary to protect the life or health of a woman." I'm not by any means pro-choice, but I am pro-fact.
If you're going to make a claim, you better be able to back it up. I'm so sick of emails going around that some random person wrote because they were annoyed about something so they start putting words in people's mouths, or the government's mouth. As an English major who had to write LOTS of papers, it's really all about facts. I even get ones that say, "I checked this on snopes," and guess what, they didn't because if they had, they'd see that their email wasn't factual. I don't know why this set me off all of sudden because I've been getting them for years, but I think it's the whole political thing. It seems like people put their opinions about the government into these emails that they claim are factual information. They always say, "I didn't write this. It was passed on to me." I'm sure the original person who wrote it, put that in so no one can turn it back on them.

On other note, I'm also annoyed with this huge obsession with vampire stories all of a sudden. I love Twilight as much as the next gal, but I've also loved and been reading vampire stories since I was in college. One of my favorite teen authors is L.J. Smith. She wrote a series called Vampire Diaries that is great. She also has a series about witches that I love, and a 9 book series of Night World books that deal with all things occult, like vampires, witches, shapeshifters, and werewolves. They're awesome and they totally humanize them like Stephenie Myer does. They've been around forever. It's almost like the new fad to like vampire stories. All I'm saying is that these books have been out there for over a decade (I know I'm old) and people are just now thinking they're cool. I do things because I want to, not because other people think it's cool.

1 comment:

paige said...

Hey thanks for doing the research, i started but i was so disturbed to learn about partial abortions and that some babies are not attended to after birth that i couldn't seem to move pass that. But i do wonder how much our government does cover up, "hide" or put in the "fine print" this had to of started some-where!