Thursday, April 29, 2010



Why do I do this to myself-and you? I put it off and then out comes the most ginormous post. I'll try not to go in to super detail to make it better. I realized the other night after posting that I forgot to write about Peanut's first day of soccer last Sat. He was so excited. We had some of those shiny white shorts and shirt from a different league from when Bubba played at this age, so he wanted to wear those, along with shin guards and cleats. He chose the blue team. It's just YMCA soccer so they have several different t-shirt colors and allow the kids to pick. I think they should pre-assign them because now they have more on some teams and less on others, but what do I know. He immediately made 2 best friends as he ran over to a small group and they all started saying to each other, "Hey, I have a 1on my shirt too!" because every shirt had a 1 on it. Then they exchanged names and one of them told him they had a boy with his same name in his class. It was so cute to watch. They put them thru a circuit of the different things they need to learn and I think next time they might actually start playing. Of course I forgot the camera so I'll have to remember for this weekend.


-playing 2nd
JP only had practice on Mon. so we went to Bubba's game and then B went and got JP and came back. The weather wasn't too bad. I kept score and B did pitch count. It was so exciting-they won their first game!!! And it was by a lot-14-9. They were so pleased with themselves. I think this is just what they needed to boost their confidence. Unfortunately, Bubba struck out every time he was up. That ruined his life. He played well in outfield, caught the ball, and made some good plays, but that's not good enough for him. I did remember the camera this time. I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but his coach teaches hunter safety and started to notice how late he was swinging. He asked if he could see the ball and realized he couldn't see the pitcher releasing it. The coach did an eye dominancy test and realized he's left eye dominant, which doesn't work when you're a right handed batter. So they worked on him swinging earlier, and tried batting lefty. One of the dads suggested that he open his stance so that he's facing the pitcher more, which seemed to help, but sometimes he still has an off night. He swings with super power, so if he does hit it it will be hard. It's weird because he hit every ball last year and now this. He's so down on himself about it. It must just be that his eyes are at the growing stage and shaping differently because he doesn't have vision problems. Poor little boy. I feel so bad for him because I know how hard he is on himself and how much he loves baseball.

I had a cleaning (my teeth) on Mon. and my dentist (who is also my neighbor) found a cavity. I told him I was too old to get cavities. I only have one other one and I didn't get that one until I was 29. Anyway, I got the filling scheduled for the next day. I should've waited awhile because my teeth were still aching from the beating the wicked witch of hygienists gave me the day before. My dentist actually asked me about that and told me he would put me with the gentle girl next time. Even his assistant who was helping him said she had been really rough on her, so it wasn't just me. Anyway, they put that bite block thing in your mouth to keep it open, and it was way to big. I have TMJ and I can't keep my mouth open that wide. So he told me I'd just have to hold my mouth open. Um yeah. So of course my mouth was as dry as Arizona because they kept spraying that air thing in there to keep it dry. Then she kept sticking Mr. Thirsty (the sucker thing) into the back of my mouth where the bone is behind your very last tooth and I was gagging. Then, my cavity ended up being bigger than he thought. It still wasn't deep, but it was in 3 spots rather than one. Needless to say, I felt like complete crap when all was said and done. My jaw hurt, I had a migraine, and I was dizzy. This is what happened to B when we first moved up here, but his dentist noticed that he was pale and ready to pass out so he gave him gas. By the will of heaven I won't have another one, but if I ever did, I'm getting the gas. I realized when I got home that for my last one (he had to replace my old filling not too long ago) he had given me one of the children's bite blocks after the other one was too much.

And finally, Bubba had no practice last night so we went to JP's game. The reason is because the complex where he plays was completely destroyed by a mini tornado the night before. It was around 5 pm-ish and Bubba and Peanut were over at the neighbor's and JP was hanging out with me and Jo Jo was still up napping. It had been raining a little on and off all day, but out of nowhere he comes this wind storm and serious hail, thunder, lighthing, the whole thing. It didn't last very long. Well, the baseball complex is about a half mile up the road from us and got hit with a microburst directly over it because it doesn't look like there was much damage to the surrounding area. All of the wood fence (that had just been put in before the season started) was ripped out and flew around hitting everything else. There was wood up in the backstops (50 ft. up), one of the backstops was bent, one of the pitching cages was destroyed (chain link fencing ripped right out), and the batting cage nets were completely gone. A couple of dugouts got hit and are now slanted. Our coach emailed that night about it, then it was on the news that night, and then on the radio in the morning. They started a bank account for donations, asked for materials, and anyone who could help went over yesterday at noon to start clean up. So his season is on hold. I really hope they'll start where they left off and just extend the season in to June.



JP won his game (although they don't keep score). He hit both times he was up, and made an awesome play at 3rd when he caught a grounder and got to his base to get the kid out. It was an ugly day, but when we first got there the sun was out. There were blacker than black clouds to the south of us, but I couldn't tell which way they would go. I was prepared. I know that the weather changes every 5 minutes here and I've been freezing at plenty of games so I had-long johns, jeans, boots, long sleeves, sweatshirt, coat, gloves, 2 blankets and scarf. Good thing. It started to sprinkle first, then came wind and hail (smaller pellets this time). We were still playing and Bubba had gotten the umbrella out for us. Peanut and Jo Jo had gotten in the car during the sprinkling and were watching a movie. Then the rain started. They decided to stop it at that point, but I was just happy they at least got to play for 45 min. I keep wondering if winter will ever be over. This is getting seriously ridiculous. I'm going to move.

We went to Baskin Robbins for 31 cent scoops afterwards because Alicia had called me earlier to tell me about it. There was a line, but really not any longer than waiting in line for food at Disneyland. It was a limit to 3 scoops per person, which I think is a lot, so we let the two oldest get 2 and the two little ones get 1 (which is a treat for Jo Jo since he's always had to share), and when B got 3 I realized I wanted 3, so we got 12 scoops of ice cream for $3.94-about the price of a regular 2 scoop cone. Woo hoo! Thanks for the tip sissy!

So I'm sure you stopped reading a long time ago because once again this has gotten out of control long, but sometimes I just don't have time everyday to write, so this is what happens.

1 comment:

Delia said...

THat is an awesome deal on ice cream!

What a shame about Bubba's eyesight. Hopefully his eyes will even out?

That is also pretty crazy that a mini-tornado ripped up everything up.

We are supposed to not get warmer weather until next Tuesday...hope you have better luck.