Sunday, April 25, 2010


Only picture of the week-watching tv together.

Baseball was much funner (I know that's not a word) the other night. Bubba was extremely grumpy while getting ready (what else is new). He was upset because his coach had put him in outfield the whole game before, and because of the time he had to sit on the bench. I tried to tell him that outfield was just as good because he needed people who could catch out there. And also that there are only 9 players on the field and he has 12 on his team, so at some point he'll have to sit on the bench for an inning. None of this helped. He contined to yell at me about it. I kept saying, "Stop" to get him to stop yelling. I finally (after the third 'stop') said it with a loud and firm voice, to which he started to say that it's not fair that parents can yell at their kids. I assured him that I was NOT yelling and that he was actually the one yelling at me. I let him know (again) that it's not okay to yell at adults-or anyone for that matter. And told him that he wouldn't play sports anymore with this kind of attitude and that there was no way his coach would play him if he talked to him that way. I know he never would-he saves all of his disrespect for mom and dad. Anyway, we get there and he goes to put his stuff in the dugout and I went up to the coach and just said, "FYI he's in a bad mood" and told him about our conversation. It was funny because the coach said he was actually on the roster to be the starting pitcher. So he went and told him right away and Bubba said, "Oh good, it won't be a bad day after all." I wish the outcome of my days depended on something so frivolous. JP didn't have a game and didn't feel like supporting his brother so he stayed at the neighbor's house. I ended up keeping score because B ended up in traffic and late to the game, but he took over pitch count from one of the other dads when he got there. It didn't help that I forgot my phone at home so he didn't know which field we were at. He missed the first 3 kids that he pitched to. It was the most awesome thing ever. He walked the first boy, and then struck out the next 3 in a row! I wish I would've remembered the video camera, or even the still camera, but I'm a tard and haven't remembered to bring it to a single game so far. His face was intense and concentrating, he took his time, I could see him take in a deep breath, and then he threw it with tons of power. Way more than last year. He was so focused. And so proud of himself afterwards! What a great boost of confidence it was for him. The next inning he walked a kid or 2, but still struck everyone out before they could score. We still lost-our 4th game in a row. I don't know if we're the bad news bears or what. They are at least improving, but I wish for their confidence they could win at least one. JP only has practice tomorrow night so we're both going to go to Bubba's game and then I'll pick up JP and we'll come back to the game. So I will definitely be able to take pictures. Let's hope I finally remember the camera. Oh, after the game coach asked Bubba if he had a good day and when he told him yes, he made him come apologize to me for yelling at me. He really is a good coach. And the coach also told me that the other coaches have also had issues with the one we were against the game before. The team who played them Fri. started to walk off the field. The bad coach wanted to keep playing because his team were losing and he was being a serious jerk. Our coach was planning on talking to the director to get him removed because people had serious issues with him last year as well.

2 comments:

Delia said...

You are a great mom Nicole. It really is a thankless job but also the most rewarding. I had a hard time with cheer when I was young. My coach knew that I had a bad attitude and would do a lot of things to test my attitude so I could learn to change it. I knew I was better at this or that but wouldn't get the part or the position I "knew" I was better at. It taught me a lot about character....and totally made me po'd a lot but eventually I learned a better lesson that went beyond my cheerleading years.

Bubba sounds like an amazing pitcher. Glad you are getting rid of the bad coach. What a shame really that it has to be that way.

Janet said...

Your description of Bubba pitching was better than a picture. I could totally imagine what it looked like. If I remember to bring my camera I get so caught up in things that I never use it! Oh well.

I'm sorry about JP's knee. I hope he gets feeling better. I loved your gratitude post. It was really inspiring.

As far as the self-esteem situation I have wondered the same thing, if it's hereditary or not. I struggle(d) with that as well and I've noticed that Kevin is much, much harder on himself than our other kids. Maybe it's related more to being a perfectionist, than it is hereditary. Anyway, a long time ago we had a talk about feeling bad about ourselves and we talked about who wants us to feel that way. We came up with a plan. I told Kevin to tell himself that he is a Son of God, who loves him and that his family loves him. If I catch him being hard on himself I'll ask him, "Who are you?" and he give that answer, (sometimes we do it more than once). It seems to help him feel a little better and it's a reminder to all of us what's most important. I hope this helps! Good Luck!