Friday, April 16, 2010

Not Too Bad-Keeping Score That Is


Peanut has started having homework. This was his first assignment and he was very excited about it. They have words to copy and then have to draw a picture of what the words say.

He had school pictures. We had already taken ones for his birthday, but I figured I'd do his hair for a class picture. He was actually wearing a really cute red sweater, but he wouldn't smile for me when I tried to take one.

Cute smiley Jo Jo playing with a nerf gun.

JP playing catcher at their scrimmage game last Sat. on opening day. It was FREEZING-hence the camo sweatshirt.

So the other night went well I think. My super fantastic sister got off work at 4:30and came and got the 2 little ones for me. She took them to her apartment and fed them and played with them. She was a life saver. It really took all of my focus to keep score. I kind of made up my own notation for a few things because I either couldn't remember what to put, or didn't know what the sign was. The other team gave me their line-up and then the first kid that was up to bat wasn't even on their list. So I had to add him on the bottom and then they kept adding kids and going out of order, so I was super confused and had to keep looking for their numbers instead of just being able to go down the sheet in order. So it was a little bit of a mess, but ours looked great and that's all our coach cared about and as long as I had the correct official score it was fine. He was right, it was actually kind of fun-except when I would miss which number on their team scored.

So I decided to buzz Peanut's hair pretty short because it was too long and when it gets that way, it's super duper poky. I've only cut hair once at it was Bubba's and I had the shortest guard on and went straight down the middle and realized too late that it was going to end up like an army cut. He was about Peanut's age I think. Anyway, I started off with a bigger one and started on the side to be safe. It turned out okay. It's pretty much just the same all over. So I had to give him a bath and of course I have to put Jo Jo in because that would be unacceptable not to. While they were in, I had to help Bubba with a math problem, which I never got to because Peanut was screaming like he was on fire. Bubba ran to see what it was and Jo Jo wasn't in the tub and Peanut was balled up in the corner because Jo Jo had pooped in the tub. I ran in and stood there like a deer in the headlights trying to figure out what to do. Bubba was quick on his feet and asked if I wanted a plastic bag so I had him get me a shopping bag and a rubber glove. That was a special experience. Peanut was freaking the whole time. It was kind of funny. So then I had to drain and re-fill it. But then as it was filling again I realized how full of hair it was, so I decided I wouldn't plug the drain and we would just wash and rinse while the water was running. So my sister got there just in time to help get them dressed and out the door. Then we had to be to Bubba's game like 45 min. early so they could practice, so I had to send JP to the neighbor's early. It's so nice that we have friends on the team to help us out in a pinch.
We discovered during practices awhile ago that Bubba is left eye dominant, but he's a righty so it means he can't see the pitcher release the ball. I thought it was a little bit of hooey and told the coach as much, but he teaches hunter safety so he knows about that and one of the other dads concurred that that was why he hadn't been hitting this season. Last year he hit almost every ball. It must just be that his eyes are growing and changing. So the dad who noticed told the coach about widening his stance so that he's almost facing the pitcher and it worked. He was able to hit the ball at one at bat and was walked once and struck out once. They were tied in the 5th inning, and Bubba pitched a little towards the end and due to a few errors behind him (kids throwing to the wrong base), the other team scored and won. Tonight he actually scored so that was great, but they lost 5-11. He was so upset about that that he didn't even tell me about him scoring. B was the one who told me. I went to JP's game tonight while B scored Bubba's. Our game was called in the last inning due to lightning. The ump thought it was getting a little too close and better safe than sorry. Bubba's game went the whole time though.
Tomorrow we have football sign-up already. We are going to the university to sign up with other team members so we can be together.
Yesterday was really nice out. I took the two little boys to the park the day before and it was breezy so it ended up being a little chilly. That didn't stop them, though. I took them again yesterday and it was nice and warm. I didn't even think of sunscreen since it was the first nice day of the year and could feel my arm burning, so I moved to the half shade. I noticed that night that my forehead, cheeks and nose are all red. So were my feet and my left arm. Jo Jo's cheekies were a little red too. Oops. Learned my lesson. Then we came home and I did lots of weeding, though I didn't even make a dent in our huge front yard. When the big boys got home from school, they felt the need to play with water guns at the neighbor's house. I didn't think it was warm enough for freezing hose water, but that has never stopped them. Today we went to the mall to return an icing decorator that I have exchanged once already because it keeps breaking. They wouldn't even give me store credit without a receipt (which I didn't have since I've already done it once before). So they gave me another one. Hopefully it doesn't break this time. I really would rather have something else, but I guess it's better to at least get something for it. Then we came home and played outside again. When the big boys got home, they forced me against my will to fill up water balloons. I decided that 4 each was as many as they were going to get out of me. Seriously like 15 of them popped while I was filling them. And the water was freezing. And my hand hurt afterwards from tying the stupid things. Oh what a mom does to please her boys. Peanut got beamed pretty hard from one of Bubba's, but I explained that that's what happens when you throw water balloons at each other.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Good job keeping score! It's so frustrating when they put kids in different order, etc. We played one team that was dead serious about keeping order and if there was a discrepency they wanted to skip that person or give us a penalty or something like that. (It was a long time ago).

Was that your first poop in the tub experience? If so you're pretty lucky! I think all of my kids have done that more than once. Good times!

We did the same thing--getting sunburned at the park. We didn't even think about it because it wasn't that hot. We were just excited for the weather to be nice enough to play outside! Definitely learned our lesson.

Good luck with your icing decorator. Hopefully it won't break again.

Delia said...

You are brave to score! I laughed when I read that poop in the tub story. Owen only did that once and Reid has never that I can remember...knock on wood. Ew...gross. Your sister is so sweet to help you out! Peanut's hair looks really cute. Owen doesn't smile much for pictures anymore either. Is it an age thing?

Good luck with your icing decorator.