Thursday, April 22, 2010

So last night at baseball got a little ugly. The other team's umpire was behind the plate. Ours was between 2nd and 3rd. So every time ours made a safe call out there, their coach would argue. And their ump was awful. He was all over the place with his calls. There were several that flew OVER the kid's heads, yet he called them strikes. Are they supposed to jump in the air? Anyway, there was a really bad call that all of our parents and coach argued about and their coach of course agreed with his ump. It got worse from there. We were down by 3 and it was the bottom of the 5th (we were in outfield). It was 7:55 and the coaches are supposed to come out and talk about whether they want to start another inning after 8 pm. They agreed they would. So our pitcher was pretty good at getting them out quickly. It was 8:02and they went out to warm up. We were all ready to start batting when out of nowhere, the ump calls it as the end of the game. Our coach of course was upset and trying to figure out what was going on. Apparently (even though he agreed to a new inning) their coach decided he would call over the director and he, in turn, decided we should end the game. Our boys were devastated. They would've had a chance to score and maybe even it up, but now they wouldn't have that chance. Our coach and ump lost it. It got ugly. Their coach tried claiming that he was willing to play (when our ump clearly saw him call the director over to call it). Not cool. They were claiming that we couldn't start another inning after 8 pm. But our other ump (who was just watching last night) told me that he talked to the head ump and he told him it was 8:15. Which is also what our coach was arguing. Anyway, to make a long story not really short-our coach sent out an email apologizing and saying that it apparently it wasn't in the by-laws online. And basically said we need to remember to have fun and not make it about us, but about the kids. Which is right, but sometimes it really seems unfair and as a parent I want my son to have a fair chance. Our ump also sent an email apologizing, but also mentioned that no one-not coaches or directors-have the right to override umps. They have the final say, so he was very upset. Anyway, I came home and told B all about it and he checked on the league's website and looked at the by-laws for our age level and guess what? It has the time 8:15 in it! So he sent it to our coach, who of course was very pleased and sent it on to the directors so we'll see what they decide to do about it.

Enough rambling about all that nonsense. It just feels good to get it off your chest sometimes.

JP had fun at his game. B said he hit every time he was up. I noticed the other night that since his shot, he hasn't been limping while running. Yay! I really hope he continues to do well. The doctor said unless there's an injury or something that causes it to swell again, he should be good. It rained yesterday, but then by game time the sun was out and it was warm enough that I could take off my sweatshirt. About a quarter of the way thru the game, the clouds came in and the wind started blowing and then it got really cold. My hands were freezing because I had to take score. And since it had gotten warm I figured I didn't need too many layers so I only had a thin blanket. At least I brought that. It's ugly and windy again today. I really need a new inside broom because I snapped the handle off the other one the other day while sweeping out the garage. But I really don't want to leave the house. Perhaps tomorrow. Plus, I got in cleaning mode today and have done bathrooms already and really need to get to folding the evil laundry. I really wish there was a laundry fairy.

Oh, Bubba lost a tooth the other night. He hasn't lost one in forever. He's lost the top and bottom 4, but it ended up being the 4th one over, but he hasn't lost the 3rd one over. Kinda weird. Anyway, he had been complaining of his tooth hurting a couple of nights in a row, but totally thought it was the closer one. I kept trying to wiggle it though and told him it wasn't loose. So we were downstairs and he was up brushing his teeth and met us on the stairs with blood on his hand and cheek and holding his tooth. He realized that all along he had thought it was the other one, but started to feel around and just yanked it out! The tooth fairy has given them a raise (because apparently everyone else gets a dollar and in the tooth fairy movie they got a dollar). I'm not sure how to explain the difference from the other kids, but they haven't ever asked oddly enough.

Oh, and no it wasn't my first poop in the tub incident the other day. I think everyone has done it-except maybe Peanut-I can't remember for sure. For some reason though I just kind of froze, so it's good I have a fast thinking, problem solving Bubba around. :)

2 comments:

Janet said...

I am so sorry about the game! I hate teams/coaches/ump's like that. It's so frustrating! They totally ruin it for everyone. I hope they work something out so that it goes better next time.

I'm so glad JP's ankle is doing well! Hurray!

Good job getting the bathrooms done--I hate cleaning those! I make the kids theirs. It's not always the best job, but oh well. Sometimes if there's laundry around and they are fighting with each other, or giving me attitude I make them fold it too! (I know, I'm such a mean mom)! :)

Delia said...

If I didn't hate laundry so much too...and lived closer...I would be your laundry fairy! ;)

That is a bummer about that weird baseball coach. It is a shame he was acting so funny around the children who is supposed to be a good example to.

I am so glad JP's ankle is doing better.