Monday, March 22, 2010

Things and Stuff

So it's been awhile. Sometimes I just don't feel like writing. Do you feel that way sometimes? I haven't really felt like human contact lately. Does that sound weird? I vented to my sweet and ever patient husband yesterday. Sometimes I just get sick of people. I don't always feel like I can be myself around the people in my ward. I can't say I have any real "friends" out here. I have a great friend from our old ward who I've known since Bubba and her little girl were about a year and a half. I always feel like I can totally be myself around her because she says exactly what she's thinking like I do. Now she's moving to Seattle. I'm sad. I'll miss her. I used to be so outgoing. I loved being surrounded by people and talking. I was always very blunt and didn't care what anyone thought because that was who I was and if you didn't like it, then tough, don't be my friend. B used to be really quiet and was fine just to do nothing and not hang out with people. We've since reversed personalities. It's really weird. In his profession he obviously has to meet with people daily, but he enjoys it. He enjoys visiting with the men in Elder's Quorum after church. I could care less about visiting with the women after RS. Most of the time I don't even sit by anyone. And guess what? No one ever comes to sit with me. I'm tired of the show. They all shop at stores they only have in California. Some of them wear $400 dresses to church. They're all a size 4.There are women I've never seen wear the same pair of shoes twice-in 4 years that we've been in the ward! But you know what? I don't care anymore. I like how I look (most of the time). I don't need to get my nails done or shop at Nordstrom. I don't need 200 pairs of shoes (although what girl wouldn't WANT that many). Somewhere along the way these last 4 years I lost myself. My house is messy, I don't always wear make-up, I haven't gotten my hair done in like 3 months (and I'm going gray). But who cares? Life is too short. Some day my boys will be grown and my house will be clean (except their rooms I'm sure). I'm sure I will actually miss the mess because it means they're having fun. I came to a realization lately-due to a link on my SIL's post-that I need to be thankful for what we have and enjoy every moment because pretty soon they won't need me anymore. I realized that even though I hate doing laundry, it means we have clothes on our backs. Even though I hate that my house is falling apart, we still have a roof over our heads. Even though I hate to cook, we have food. Even though I hate doing homework, it means my kids are getting a great education. My husband went to a place on his mission where the kids didn't even wear shoes most of the time. And you know what? They were the happiest people he's ever met because they were grateful for what they DID have and didn't complain about what they didn't. I'm sick of all the people out here that are so into their snow mobiles, boats, fancy cars and cabins. And then they wonder why they're losing their house. Okay, I'll get off my horse now and talk about what the kids have been up to. I just really felt the need to vent to someone other than my husband. Most of this has been building up for awhile, but it all blew up when I posted on facebook how I stood in line for 2 1/2 hrs. with my sister to get "New Moon" over the weekend. It was fun and bonding. It was the one thing I've ever done that is totally geeky. I got a couple of positive comments from family, but everyone else made me feel really stupid saying how embarassing it was to admit that, or that it was so not worth it. That really hurt my feelings. So this rant is what followed.

Anyway, things are getting busy here. JP had his b-ball parent's meeting last night. He is so giddy, it's cute. He was on what seemed to be an overflow team that they finally named after a few days, but we got a call from his new coach yesterday to tell us he'd been moved. They went back and noticed several kids had requested to be with other kids that he knows, so he's with 2 kids from our ward and our neighbor. He is THRILLED. I love it. He's on the Cardinals now and already got his shirt and hat. It's funny because Bubba was on that team at this same age so we have a shirt and hat already. Bubba now has 3 Yankees hats as well-1 of his own and now 2 from b-ball. Practices for JP start tonight. They will be the same nights again, so it's really annoying that we have to switch off being able to go to each of their games. I'd rather have it every night than 3 nights a week on the same nights. We opted for Peanut to do soccer becuase he would've been the same nights as well. There aren't 3 of us. I hate that they do it every other year on the same nights. People generally have kids 2 yrs. apart and not 1, so it doesn't make sense. Tonight JP has a class primary party from 4-5:30, practice from 5:30-6:45 and Bubba goes from 5-6:30. At least I have time in between to take and pick up where they all need to be. Though B has been great about getting home for practice because he likes to watch Bubba.
Tomorrow we have a doctor's appt. for JP in the morning. We've still been concerned because his ankle is still swollen. It hurts most of the time to wear his tennis shoes and he keeps limping. I think he's limping unconsciously now. He hasn't been taking very much Motrin, so I think he's just doing it. I keep reminding him that he needs to walk as normally as possible so his joints and bones don't end up growing funky so he doesn't end up having hip problems or limping for the rest of his life. He gets annoyed with me, but I keep trying.
We have parent/teacher conferences this week, which is good because I've had concerns with one of them. (I won't say who, but there have been issues with test scores and studying). I seriously feel like I'm back in school half the time. B said the other day, "You didn't realize you'd have to do homework again did you?" I'm really hating Bubba's monthly projects because I feel like I'm doing a lot of the work because I want him to do well.



Watching cartoons while I blog. Yes, Jo Jo is still in his pajamas. I can't believe he actually smiled, but he was so excited when he saw the camera. Such cute boys. I love how Peanut's hair is perpetually pokey.

Jo Jo has really been talking even more (if that's possible). It's only rarely that I don't understand a word. The other night in the car Peanut was singing the alphabet and Jo Jo was singing right along. He sang 'l-z' along with him, and then after Peanut stopped, he sang, 'q-z' completely by himself. I guess it helps to have an older brother to teach you what you need to know in life. I think it's also becuase when he was a baby (well a smaller baby) I would sing the alphabet to him while rocking him to sleep. I still do when he'll let me. A lot of the time, though, he gets annoyed and says, "Nooo." I'm impressed with how Peanut has been doing in school. He went from not recognizing all of the letters of the alphabet at the beginning of the year, to being able to write them all. I know-this was mostly my fault because he's the third child and I didn't really think about doing it. I was kind of like, oh he'll get it since he's the third and brothers do it, but it doesn't come automatically. Duh. Okay, so I've gone on long enough. I'm sure it's mostly because I haven't written in awhile, but also because I had a migraine this morning and I finally took ONE Excederin. I normally take Ibuprofen because Excederin makes me antsy, but I don't want to keep taking the Ibuprofen becuase it eats your stomach. I've had a headache every day for the past 3 weeks or so. Maybe it's a brain tumor. ;) I finally stopped taking anything becuase I just don't want to keep putting that junk in my body. But I thought, well, I'll just take one today and wouldn't you know it, it still makes me really jittery. I should take advantage of this energy and go fold laundry. I think Peanut and I will make some cookies today. I've been wanting to, but have been too lazy.
Oh, next week is Spring Break. Last year we went to the zoo on half price day even though it was really cold. We'll have to go to at least one nature or science place becuase Bubba has his final science project due in April and it has to be a field experience one this time. Okay, I'm really done now.

4 comments:

Delia said...

Oh Nicole. Thank you for your honesty. I seriously relate to you in a lot of ways. Especially since we are in Primary I feel like I don't know anyone or everyone thinks we are in-active {and therefore don't talk to us or act weird around us} because they never see us and pretty much no one else in our ward except us and like 5 other people will accept a Primary calling. That means we never get a Sunday off. We are going to start taking turns now that Reid is in nursery but even then it only depends on whether we have the two ADHD kids or not. If we do then we both have to stay and we still have our hands full. I am sorry that you are in such a superficial neighborhood. That would be hard not to be able to relate to anyone.

I am so sorry too that you have been having headaches. I wonder if there is something more there? I know I am going to sound like your mother here, but have you seen a doctor about it? 3 weeks seems like a long time to me to have a daily headache without relenting.

Your baseball and soccer schedule sounds dizzying. Wow. Your boys are so lucky that you sacrifice so much for them.

Janet said...

I think this is a great post. I totally know what you mean about not wanting to write anything, or not feeling social. I also know what you mean about friends. We've moved so much that all of my close friends live far away. I would love, love, love it if you called me when you need to vent. Sometimes you just need to talk to someone and what's even better is I don't live there, so you could totally say whatever you needed to!

I am amazed at all that you sacrifice to make sure your boys are involved in sports. I really admire that.

I'm glad you like your Eat this, Not that book. I got the supermarket guide version of that for christmas and absolutely love it!! I learned so much--like a twix bar has the same amount of saturated fat as 11 pieces of bacon! The other day I saw a Cook This, Not That that looks pretty good.

I'm sorry about JP's ankle. I hope there is a good solution for him.

I think your boys are adorable and I love hearing about what's going on in their lives. I should post more about my kiddos more often.

p.s. I think you're wonderful! O.k., and I might sound like your mom too, but have you thought about seeing a chiropracter for your headaches? We've had some really good results with things like that. Anyway, that's all. I hope you find relief for your headaches.

Alicia said...

First of all, it's not a tumor (said like in Kinder Cop). Second, I'm right with you on the whole ladies and relief society business. I remember 3 consecutive lessons talking about how "nice" all of us were. I was thinking,"Ya more like vapid!" Anyway, I've decided to start flaunting my awesomeness to root out any cool people who actually can talk about something real, like the tragic death of one of the beloved Coreys. And whoever made fun of you for the New Moon deal is a hoser. I mean who is a loser - us who were excited and waiting for something we enjoy or the guy who made fun of us while we were in line... the one who was choosing to spend his Friday night loitering at Wal-Mart. I would be more embarrassed about being a jerk so tell those rude heads they can suck it! haha ~sis

Delia said...

Oh...and pears. They taste best when you wait until they are soft. SO when you press the sides they should give a bit.