Wednesday, September 2, 2009

School House Rock




Finally-pictures of school starting. This year was very exciting because they built a new building for our school and it happens to be directly across the street from our neighborhood. It really was only about 2 min. away before in the car. But this is so fun for them. It turned out to be a beautiful building. They have K-12 and so now instead of needing portables and borrowing a church a mile away for the high school, they have everyone in one big building. The grades 7 and up (I think we only have through 11th this year since it's new) are in their own wing and have their own cafeteria. The younger grades have the other half. And now we have a huge gym so they can have p.e. inside in the winter and our basketball and volleyball teams have somewhere to play. So we've been riding bikes to school this week. I decided I should ride with them this week to make sure they're safe, but I might just keep doing it. We were almost hit by a car yesterday, so now I don't know that I feel comfortable with them going alone. They installed school zone flashing lights and lowered the speed limit to 20 mph while they're flashing because there's a school across from it in our neighborhood. They painted a crosswalk there, but there are crazy people still not paying attention. The cars on one side stopped for us, but while we were in the center of the crosswalk a woman went flying by at 40 mph or so. I called the police dept. yesterday to ask them to put a cop there for the first week or so until people get used to it. So the Sgt. called me back and said he'd let the morning officer know and depending on call volume he would have one out there as much as possible. This makes me feel a little better.

So it's way too hot to ride home. Holy cow! It's in the 90's which I know some of you live in AZ and I shouldn't be complaining, but give me a break. I'm looking forward to it cooling down a bit. Spring is my favorite season, so it would be nice if the weather would decide to be like that.

The boys are enjoying their teachers. This year they decided to add another class to each grade level (we only had one each before). We weren't sure how we felt about it before. We liked the small school atmosphere. But it's okay because with them mixing the classes up, they have the chance to make new friends and break the old cliques that were causing problems for one of my boys. We already knew JP's teacher because she's the same one that Bubba had, but Bubba's teacher is new this year. She was way cool and has the coolest room decorated in Western style with a couch and bean bag and ottomans for reading. She has a huge library of books too. It makes me want to be in her class.

2 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

It sounds like a good start to the year. Sorry to hear about the scary drivers though!

Don't feel bad about complaining about the heat! Our blood is not thin like theirs in AZ, so 95 feels to us what 105 feels to them. Plus not everyone here is equipped to deal with hot temps since we only get them for a few weeks (most years - this year sounds hot for you guys) and then the rest of the time it is a little milder. So when it IS hot, it is hot everywhere. We can't hide out in an ice cold house. At least not us! We have a crappy swamp cooler. :( That is what I think anyway.

I love how Spencer is too cool to smile for a picture. He is growing up really fast.

Lonni said...

Okay, cutest picture ever of the boys and their dad on the couch with the blanket!!!!
As for me, I'm not really sure what I need as far as baby stuff. I don't have a swing anymore. I think that's the only thing I can think of-- and April Oto has one she said I could borrow. I'm not sure what I need at this point. My brain is totally mush. I gave my baby bathtub and activity center away and I think Julie Taylor has them and will let me get them back when needed. Is there anything you think I need? I've been given a ton of blankets... clothes etc. Right now, he has to wear those snap up sleepers because of all the cords. Sorry, I'm rambling.
Thanks though, for your kindness and very cool comments that have kept me going (and sane).
Love ya,
Lonni