Monday, June 1, 2009

The Coolest Mom Ever



Okay, so not to toot my own horn, but I'm officially the coolest mom ever. We had a crazy week. Jo Jo finally decided to start walking on his 16 month birthday last Monday night (though he still crawls more than walks). Tues. night was 2 baseball games again. Wed. Bubba got to go to batting class because someone else had cancelled. JP stayed home with me and we played Battleship and built some Sponge Bob legos. Thurs. night were our 2 final games. I went to JP's and ended up with 12mosquito bites! Fri. I was baking a cake for Bubba's birthday party and running misc. errands. I got the frosting made late that night, but decided to hold off putting the cake together since I don't have one of those cake saver thingys. So Sat. morning I was sick and slept in and so felt like I was the energizer bunny getting all the party stuff ready. I had to make the chocolate chip ice cream and frost the cake and get the backyard cleaned and the games ready to go out there. We had to fill a zillion water balloons. I made the kids help clean the downstairs in case anyone needed to use the bathroom to change. Then we had kids showing up and fortunately 2 kids didn't make it because it was hard enough trying to keep JP and the other 8 kids from taking the water balloons out of the bucket before we were ready. They had fun playing lots of water games-sponge tag, water balloon toss, beach ball relay, cold potato, and ring toss. Then we let them throw the rest of the water balloons and Butch almost didn't get over there fast enough to stop them from doing them all at once. The 2 girls only got one balloon each as it was. Then we did presents and cake and ice cream, which we should have done first because at this point they were dumping cups of water on each other at the table. Oh well, note to self. Then they played with the hose for a few more minutes before parents came. After the party, Butch and I both collapsed. We both had body aches like the flu and sore throats when we woke up, so the party just drained us both. He's been doing a little better, but I stayed home yesterday with Bubba who has been coughing. I realized I needed to make 2 dozen cupcakes for the school carnival today. I got a cupcake cookbook for Mother's Day so I used it to make vanilla and devil's food cupcakes. I never realized it was so much work to make everything from scratch! Then I made the icing that was in the book, which involved holding a bowl over bowling water, but not letting it touch, etc. It was a lot of work. So it was about 10:30 when I finished with all of that. I did it in shifts since my body was still aching. The icing wasn't my favorite so I made it coconut and sprinkled coconut on top after frosting them. I used my icing decorator to make them look fancy and I'm so sad I didn't take a picture of the finished product. So then today I went over to the school at 9:30 (after dropping them off earlier for school) to volunteer at the fishing booth. Yes, I took both of the little boys. Jo Jo was so good almost the whole time just hanging out in his stroller. The big boys were so awesome and took Peanut to play games. Bubba came and got tickets from me and got Peanut lunch and later came back and got me lunch. I had one mom helping me out front taking tickets. Then after awhile, I switched with her. Another mom came over as a "floater" to help pinning the toys. Then, the first mom said, "I only volunteered to help until 11, so I'm going to go now." Um, okay. I have 2 little kids here, and you're going to go play with your 1st grader? Then, after awhile the other mom left her 3rd grader to help me behind the booth while she took off to play with her daughter. Hello! In the meantime, I haven't left once and hadn't eaten at this point. So she only came back once to bring more prizes because all we had left were beads and rings. Peanut was even helping. I was trying to do both, but all of the kids were really honest and put their tickets in the bucket on their own, so I could kind of go back and forth. Towards the end, half the 3rd grade class came back and did prizes, but they were getting a little silly at the end and chucking the poles back at the kids. But by then I was like, whatever, at least I have help. So I got home around 1 pm and collapsed to have a nap while Jo Jo had one. So I officially think I'm a great mom because of all the hard work I've done to help at school and do an awesome birthday party, all while sick. I'm done. I need a break and I'm on strike from doing cupcake dishes or cooking dinner tonight. Oh yeah, did I mention Bubba has a playoff game Tues. night and his end of season pool party on Sat. that I'm in charge of since I'm the team mom. I also had to do all the trophy stuff last Fri. I'm so glad it's summer and the kids can just hang out at the pool every day.

3 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

WHew! How exhausting. You are a fun mom.

Janet said...

O.k., so I've known that you are officially the coolest Mom on the planet for years! I'm serious. You are always planning and doing fun things with your boys. I really look up to you for that and try to follow your example.

My poor kids have had it kind of tough the last couple of years--house for sale for a year, sorry no parties only clean house, new baby, moving, and now we're moving again. I just haven't had the energy or time for a lot of extra fun things. It is so sad and makes me feel like I'm totally depriving my children from their childhood. Hopefully things will settle down soon and we can take a page from your book and plan some fun things! I hope after all of that, that you are feeling better.

Lonni said...

Love your blog and your cute boys. With my first on the way... I'm seeing what I have in store. Just hope I can be as cool as you!!!