Thursday, August 26, 2010

School is in Session




Today was the first day of school! We went to meet the teachers last night and turn in supplies. (Don't get me started on that). The big boys rode their bikes this morning. Bubba really hates wearing a helmet. I think it's a too cool for it thing. He told me that he didn't know why he needed to wear it because it wouldn't do anything if he was hit. I told him that it would save his brain and he told me that his skull is way thicker than the helmet. I informed him that it wasn't and it would crack if he was hit by a car. That convinced him enough to wear it, though it was still against his will. I gave them firm instructions that since our school is the first to start (there's one across the street that will start Mon.) they needed to be extra careful this morning. I told them to only cross if there were no cars at all or if they came to a complete stop. I told them not to cross if it looked to them like the car was slowing because you can never tell for sure. Bubba seemed to be annoyed with this instruction because of course he knows it all. Last year I rode with them for the first week or so. It was good that I did because we were almost hit twice. Peanut doesn't start until 12:15 so he got to sleep in. About 11 he started asking when school started and why he couldn't go in the morning. I'm glad he was so excited and not scared. We had lunch and then he wanted me to drive him there. He said it was okay for me to ride my bike to pick him up since brother's had their bikes. We went around to the door where he is supposed to line up and all the other moms and dads were there with their cameras. He was very excited. When it was time to go in we all gave them one last hug and a wave goodbye. Jo Jo was a little upset that he couldn't go in too. I had to carry him because he was running away screaming about it. It was a bittersweet moment. He's been my little buddy now for so long since JP is 3 years ahead in school. But it's only 3 hours and he went to preschool that long last year but only 3 days a week. And I still have the morning to hang out with him. I was proud of myself for not crying.
JP's teacher this year was Bubba's 3rd grade teacher. We really like her. I got to observe Peanut's teacher last year and she seems awesome. I'm not sure about Bubba's teacher yet. She seems a little stern. She sent out an email letting us know that 95% of students get reallly stressed out the first month because the work load is really big. The work is going to be hard. I'm worried about homework and how he'll deal with everything with football practice every night. I plan on sitting with him everyday to help him stay focused. I'm going to put up a table in our dining room that is now the piano room so they have a separate place to study. And no one will be allowed to watch tv until everyone is done because they'll still be able to hear it in the other room.
I was looking forward to a quiet afternoon, but after trying to get Jo Jo to take a nap for an hour I gave up. At least he decided to go upstairs for awhile and play. At least I only had one with me at the bread store, although he wanted to put everything on every shelf into the cart. And then wanted to toss each loaf of bread onto the counter. It was actually pretty cute.
Sat. will be our first real football game. It looks like we'll only have 1-2 conflicts with the two different schedules. The rest are at least two hours apart and at the same place. As long as Bubba's games don't go longer than two hours we'll be able to see both of their games.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations on your first day of school!! Whew! One down and something like 177 to go, right? :)

I am a little sad that I am missing out on just spending time with Kenzie while everyone else is at school. Hopefully Jo Jo will want to nap sometimes so that you can get a little quiet time.

I loved reading about JP's family home evening. I am really impressed that he's reading his scriptures. Kelly and Kevin have read them a little on their own here and there, but nothing really consistent. That should change a little for Kelly now that she is working on personal progress.

Good Luck with your football games this weekend!

Delia said...

Wow...you sound so busy. I always read about the crazy schedules you SILs have been living, but I didn't really empathize. Owen just starting school has given me a little bite sized taste of the melee you guys endure. Many props to you!