Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Peanut's Day

"Why did the skeleton cross the road?" (Peanut)
"Why?" (my sister asked)
"Um...(thinks for a minute) to get to the doctor."
The funny thing is that this joke actually made sense to me yesterday when he told it. Maybe I need to spend more time with adults, I'm not sure.

Sat. Peanut and I went on a date. Awhile ago when we had gone bowling with the other boys and they were freaking out about how bad they were doing, I told Peanut we could go on a date and go bowling. Several years ago I took Bubba to see "National Treasure 2" and JP out to eat at Chuck-a-Rama, but Peanut was too little to do anything with just me, since he stayed home with me all day anyway. Well, he kept asking when we would finally go. On Fri. night when I was tucking him in he asked if B would be home on "the next day" and when I told him he would, he was super happy and asked if we could finally go on our date. So Sat. morning we got ready and went bowling. I used his free games coupon, but they must have higher Sat. rates because it was still $10. Anyway, two people bowling two games doesn't take long. We were having so much fun seeing how well we could do. Afterward he was so excited because 31 Flavors is right next to the bowling alley and we got to go get ice cream. B and the other boys were out getting a net off of someone's property to try to make into a batting cage and it was stuck in giant weeds, so we decided to go to the mall. We had a coupon for a free Build-a-Bear animal so we decided to get Jo Jo one because he only has one and Peanut has three. Peanut did really try to talk me into making it for him. I told him he had 3 already. "Three isn't a lot. A hundred is a lot," he told me. So anyway, he helped me pick out a panda and we named it Jo Jo. Then we went to Costco and ate lunch off the samples and did some grocery shopping. I hate that I spend a zillion dollars there and then come home and the next day realize that I needed something else that they carry there. Anyway, he had a great day. All day he was smiling and hugging me and telling me how fun it was. I loved it too. I think I need to do this more often with each of them. Especially now that they'll be in school again and are getting older. Actually I know Bubba would prefer to hang out with dad, but JP still likes doing stuff with me.

So they got the netting to make a batting cage. They brought it home after digging it out of weeds that were as tall as B. We started picking out all of the dry weeds at home with it layed across the entire lawn. It was a pain and like 95 degrees out. I decided we needed a break, so he went to Home Depot with Bubba to get all the stuff to start his project. He decided while he was there and adding it all up in his head, that he would call a guy he'd seen on craigslist with a net and pitching machine. It was a really good price and the good thing was that all the pieces were already there. So he went and bought it. We put it up only to discover it was inside out, so we took it down to do it again and B realized there wasn't really a correct way to put the pitching machine in through the hole made for it. So we put it up the right way anyway. Bubba took a few swings that night and got really excited. We're just waiting for the letter from the homeowner's association telling us we can't have it up because it's too tall. We got one about our playset after living here for over 3 years. They still haven't ever done anything about it. It's in OUR yard and not an eye sore, so who cares? Anyway, good times had for all.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I loved this post! It is such a rare and wonderful experience to spend time with our kids one-on-one. I would like to do that more with my kids. Thanks for the great ideas. I'm so glad you found a great net and pitching machine! Very cool!

Delia said...

That is so sweet that you had a Peanut date.

I like his joke too. At least it mostly made sense. :)

That batting cage sounds so fun. Your boys are so lucky to have you as parents.