Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Super Long Post-Beware

Sun. night we were hanging out in the living room and B noticed that JP's 2nd toe on his right foot was swollen. He didn't remember hitting it and said it was like that all the time, though I know it's not. So later when we were putting them to bed and he was wearing his pajama shorts, B noticed that his knee and ankle were both really swollen with fluid as well. We decided I should take him to the ER Mon. since the doctor would be closed for the holiday. The doctor was concerned with 2 things-arthritis and infection. They had to take fluid from the knee and also draw blood so we could test for both. So, they had to prep the knee with iodine and put one of those blue cloths with the hole in it over it. You know how you see those on tv when they're doing stitches? So the doctor first stuck in a needle with numbing fluid. Then he did the 2nd one to remove fluid. He told JP if he needed him to stop to let him know and we had to stop once. I spent the whole time hugging him so he wouldn't look. He was so so very brave. He didn't scream or cry.
-This is from this morning when it was looking much better-

Then they had to draw blood from his arm. He did NOT do well with that. However unlike his mom with the smallest veins ever who has to be stuck 5 times, he has a really big vein in his right arm and they were able to get what they needed right away. He shed some tears during this one and said it continued to hurt for quite awhile-which if you've ever had blood drawn or an IV you know it does since you have that thing sticking in your arm. They were the best nurse and doctor I've ever had in an ER. After the experiences with the bad ones with Bubba lately, it was really nice. They both explained everything they were doing to him in detail. The nurse even got out a clean needle casing to show him all the parts (minus the needle) and let him keep it. They let him know how it would feel, that it would hurt, but it would go away and he could squeeze mom's hand. They were so impressed with his bravery. We went to a different ER this time (that is a different hospital) because our insurance will cover them, and I will never go back to any of the other hospital's locations. So results-it took a little over an hour for results (which I was thrilled we were getting them the same day) and there was no infection. Everything looked great-white count, kidneys, etc. The rhematoid arthritis sample came back negative as well. However, the doctor said this doesn't necessarily mean anything. he said if it's positive, then it's definite, but sometimes negative doesn't mean he doesn't have it. He talked with an orthopedic doctor who wants to see him next week. He said it was arthritis (there's more than just the rhematoid kind). I know you're thinking-kids can get it? Yep, which I already knew because we have friends from our old ward with a little boy who has it really bad and has to take daily shots. I'm really hoping this is not JP's case. We will know after next Tues. He's really a trooper. He had a birthday party after that he'd been planning on for awhile and they said as long as he didn't run around on his knee for awhile he'd be okay. He told all of his friends that he has arthritis, though when I asked him if he knew what that was, he said no. It's funny that he's like "whatever" about it. He never even asked me afterwards what it was, though I did explain after his party. Although I had a hard time trying to figure out how to explain it and he was only half listening anyway. He never even complained about any pain this time so hopefully that's a good thing. He's complained a lot before about his legs hurting, but we always assumed it was growing pains. When the doctor and I asked where it normally hurt though, he pointed to his knee. The doctor asked if we had any in our family and I said I didn't really think so, though I have problems with my hands and wrists. The doctor has always told me before that I was too young to have it. He's an old friend, so he's not a very good doctor for us. Then after talking to my mom, I found out my grandma has it and my mom has it a little, though it doesn't bother her anymore because she takes one Aleve everyday. So much for that. I was talking with a friend last night who is an occupational therapist about how I have knee trouble too, and she said that if I have a high pain threshold, I might not even realize I have it. That makes sense. I had all four boys with no epidural so I've always known I have a high pain threshold. We already met our deductible with Bubba this year, so now we're really getting our money's worth. I would like no more visits to the ER this year please Heavenly Father. Sorry this was so super long, but I just wanted to let you all know what is going on with our sweet boy. I will keep you updated.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I am so sorry! Poor JP! What a trooper to not complain. I really hope that you get the information that you need. We will definitely keep you in our prayers.

Delia said...

Poor guy! What a trooper though. I hope that you get the answers you need to help him deal with this.

I didn't know you had all four boys without epidural. Go you.

Delia said...

Okay...I just read Janet's comment and realized how similar our comments were. That just made me laugh. :)