Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tantrums

Have any of you had a child who head butts? I don't know how to get Jo Jo to stop doing it. He mostly does it to me, but he's gotten B a few times. He does it to my shins if I'm standing, my thigh if I'm sitting, my chest if he's in my lap, and occassionally to my head or mouth. Can I tell you how awesome it feels? I'm not sure if he'll eventually just grow out of it, or if there's something to do now that will help. I'm looking for any advice from you that may have had this problem. He also likes to throw tantrums by either throwing himself backward onto the floor (whacking his head on the tile in the process), or cracking his forehead on the floor. I'm trying to figure out if he's doing it for my attention or what. He gets really mad if I ever have one of the other boys in my lap, or hold them. What a spoiled boy. He could never be anything but the baby or he wouldn't survive.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Kate used to totally throw tantrums and find the hardest thing, the door, the wall, the floor, etc. to repeatedly bang her head on. I don't remember her trying to head butt any of us. It was such a hard thing. I remember having to kind of hover if she were to throw a tantrum to try and keep her safe. I think she eventually just grew out of it. I think she got to a point where she was old enough and we could kind of show her alternatives to head butting, like giving her a pillow to head butt. You think I would remember better. It probably was more like she started to realize how much it hurt and just stopped. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Also, I love the picture of peanut. Kelly was always coloring on herself--Rudolph noses and everything.

Lonni said...

I wish I were an expert in the head butting/tantrum arena... but I doubt anyone knows what to do. We had one of ours throw herself on the floor and scream non-stop. We tried a few things but eventually resorted to throwing her in the shower-- clothes on-- and blasting her with cold water. It worked. Not very nice and probably flies in the face of "good" parenting-- but it worked. Just don't report me to CPS. By the way, thanks for you support and offer for items with the new munchkin on the way. I have gotten rid of all the girl stuff and certainly don't have any boy stuff--- so I likely will be calling you saying HELP ME!!! LOL.