Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Days 1 & 2 of Spring Break

Yesterday was our first day of Spring Break. It looks like it will be another ugly weather one again this year. Hopefully on Thurs. (half price day) it will be nice enough to get to the zoo. It's funny that we have a small zoo that we've been to tons of times, but at the mere mention that we might go, the kids cheer. I love it. So I have a short list of projects for the week. First on it was to switch rooms around. JP has been by himself since we moved Bubba to the guest room to have his own room. The closet is huge and he doesn't have much to put in there, so I got the idea awhile ago to put him in Peanut and Coconut's room since they have a bajillion toys that don't fit in their closet and are therefor always making a huge mess. So I literally spent the entire day swapping everything. The kids helped a little (although if you ask JP, it was a lot). I started with switching the books because the bookshelves match the furniture in the room so I didn't want to trade them out. It took me at least an hour because I'll admit it, I have OCD. I decided that now would be a good time to separate everything into paperback and hardback books-by size no less. And then JP also has a section with chapter books and series. Coconut now has all of his board books on his bottom shelf and Peanut's are on the top. I threatened them to keep them that way or else. :) I traded all of the pictures/posters on the walls and doors. I switched all of the clothes and then took all of the size 4 and 5 clothes out of Bubba's closet (which used to hold all of the sizes no one was currently wearing) to the top rung of the new closet. I moved everyone's treasures over. Oh my goodness if I would've known what a ginormous task this was I wouldn't have changed their rooms! JP had so much stuff. And it was all mixed up. He was randomly putting it into new boxes and baskets that I gave him to use that had the little boys socks and undies in them before because there isn't a dresser in there. I went in his new closet to shelf everything and couldn't handle it. That's when he started whining and lying on the bed because he was "so exhausted" from working hard all day to put the stuff away. Here's where my OCD kicked in again. I sorted everything into different categories and organized them on the shelves according to how often they would be used and putting similar boxes together. I don't even know how long this process took, but it was a way long time. Then I went to the playroom and got Coconut's toy bin since there hasn't ever been any room for it in his closet. He never plays with the toys because they're out of sight, so I'm hoping he will now. I took out several big toys that are really too baby-ish for him now, and then put all of their big toys in it. I got a smaller bin that had been used for hats to put all of tiny toys like action figures, etc. They also their other bins that they already had-cars, plastic animals, play food. There was even room in the closet for some of the big toys like Lego bins that were always on their art table before. B got home and after doing bball practice took apart the crib and moved it over because it's too wide for the door. We have two sets of bunk beds. Bubba took his bed-which rolls under the other one (they were perpendicular) and the other one is together in the little boy's old room. Since we don't yet have another twin mattress, we will keep them together for now. Eventually we will separate those and split them between JP and Bubba and take the one Bubba took from the old room and put it back with it's mate. Confused yet? So anyway, I stopped for a half hour for lunch and a half hour for dinner, but otherwise worked non-stop until 9:30 pm. So much for it taking a "couple of hours" like I thought. Needless to say, B had to pop my back and I could only walk hunched over for awhile. The boys all decided to have a sleep over in the little boys' room. It was pretty cute.


Reading bedtime stories during the sleep over


JP's new closet shelves


Little boy's new closet


I had to take this one because it shows you that we have entirely too many stuffed animals

Day 2 consisted of us not doing anything all morning except for bathing and getting dressed and then at 12:30 pm we went to the cheap theatre to see "Yogi Bear." I didn't realize it was in 3-D which is $1 more and Coconut refused to wear the glasses. It least it only looked a little blurry without the glasses so he didn't seem to mind. B met us over there for an extra long lunch break. The kids loved it-even though JP was complaining yesterday that it was a "baby" movie. He wanted to see the new "Narnia" movie or "Gulliver's Travels." I didn't think the two little ones would do well with either of those. I am currently avoiding folding the FOUR baskets of unfolded laundry upstairs. Bubba is sleeping over at his friend's house across the street tonight. He's 12 and in our ward and his mom happens to be the piano teacher. They have become new BFFs and play football and board games everyday. Tonight they're going to watch "Toy Story 3" which his family hasn't seen yet. We all love us some Spanish Buzz. JP is currently at bball practice and I'm listening to two little boys go back and forth between getting along and then not. Well I suppose I should be off to fold some laundry. Blech.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I totally understand your OCD. I spent most of last Saturday just cleaning and organizing anything and everything. It was a long day, but totally worth it! My siblings and I used to switch rooms all the time growing up--it is so much work! I'm impressed that you did it all in one day. I hope the rest of your spring break goes well.

Delia said...

Sounds like a productive Spring break so far! Your boys are so lucky to have such a good mom. I hate laundry too!