Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving


My favorite thing about cooking something chocolate when I was little too.


Yesterday was a nice relaxing day. Well, for others I guess, but I was on my feet most of the day. B always deep fries the turkey so at least I never have to worry about that. I made muffins for breakfast. We always have crackers and dip out for lunchtime since we mostly just snack. Then I got started on the sweet potatoes. As we got closer I did the mashed potatoes, which are never ready on time, but this year they were, however they were cold by dinner. I made the chocolate pie earlier in the day (Coconut got to lick the beaters) and the pumpkin the night before. My sister and BIL came over in the late afternoon. The boys all hung out and watched football and played football in the backyard. No snow to play in. So we had turkey (that was absolutely the best), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, jello, olives, stuffing and rolls. JP insists on mixing his jello into his mashed potatoes. My brother did it one year and since then he has carried on this bizarre tradition. He's also the main person I get the olives for. Then pumpkin and chocolate pie for dessert. JP can sure put away the food, hopefully he'll start gaining his weight back.


Getting ready for bed. Sometimes we like to play with the kids and say, "Oh here's your pants" and put their shirt on their legs or something like that. So last night I told Peanut, "Here's your shirt" and we got his arms through his pants. He thought it was pretty hysterical.

I went online and looked at Target's doorbuster ad and decided it was worth going. But I wasn't getting up at 4am after going to bed at midnight, so I got up at 5 am instead. I was literally leaving my neighborhood at 5:08. I got up, threw on my pants and shirt from last night, grabbed my coat, put my boots on in the garage and left. I couldn't believe the lines. I've never been out that early and it was ridiculous. They had one on each side of the store and they wrapped across the back to the opposite side. I found the main thing I wanted, couldn't find the two toys, but found the other stuff. I needed black gloves, so I went up and found some and saw that the jewelry counter line was short. I don't think anyone realized it was there. I went back to look for the toys one more time and found one on an end cap and the other in a worker's cart who was taking unwanted stuff back. I got in the short line and almost to the register realized I had bought the one game on Mon. night when I went. Oops. It was only $1 cheaper so I just gave it back. I stood in line for about 15 min. vs. the other lines that I'm sure were at least an hour wait. It was like Disneyland. I kept wondering if it was really worth it to all of those people, but realized I saved probably close to $50 so it was probably worth it to everyone else. Then I headed home because B had to work a half day.

AJ (my BIL) was working for his cousin at his video store this morning and finished up and came over about 9:30 this morning and my sister is on her way as I type this. B will be home around 12:30 to watch football all day with AJ while Alicia and I venture out to the mall. I think it's kinda fun-all this madness. The Body Shop has a deal where you can get any three items for $30. Their body butters are $20 each, so I think I'll head there for some deals. Plus, they gave me a coupon the other day for $10 off so hopefully I can use both deals together. Fun stuff. I've already got quite a bit done. A couple more things and then B's gifts left. Which I have no idea what to get him because he never wants anything specific-unless it's some electronic device that costs a million dollars.

2 comments:

Janet said...

It sounds like it was a great Thanksgiving! You are awesome for getting up and battling the crowd. I couldn't get myself to do it this year. I'm sure I'll regret it later, but it's too late now!

Delia said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. That is awesome that you found that short line!