Friday, May 14, 2010

Goodbye Aunt Ruthie

 
Posted by Picasa

Aunt Ruth on the left and Grandma on the right

Yesterday I went to my great aunt Ruth's funeral. She would've been 89 at the end of this month. She was a wonderful, cheerful lady. I never saw her frown once. That's one of the things they talked about in the service yesterday. She was always happy and smiling, even late in life after her health started to decline. She got dementia several years ago, but still laughed at herself when she forgot something. In the end, it was her heart and kidneys that started to fail. Her oldest son was there last week when she quietly passed away in the early morning hours.

 
Posted by Picasa

At a reunion where it rained the entire weekend, so she walked around with a shower cap on. With her grand daughter, one of my best friend cousins Rachel.

She and Uncle Arnie lived in Twin Falls and every summer, even though we lived in California, we would come up to visit. I loved coming up. I remember doing so many fun things-fishing with Uncle Arn, following Aunt Ruthie around. They were the best. We would see them every year at our family reunions and then go on to their house to stay for a week or so. They really were another set of grandparents for me. Uncle Arnie passed away 7 years ago so we know it was a joyous reunion with him and her parents and all of her brothers and sisters. She was such a loving woman always willing to serve others. This now leaves my grandma the last of 10. She was right under my aunt in birth order so they were very close. They looked so much alike that I would often walk up to my aunt as a little girl mistaking her for my grandma. She will be greatly missed. Love you always Aunt Ruthie. Thank you for being a wonderful part of my life.

2 comments:

Janet said...

10 children-wow! I didn't know her, but by the end of this I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes! I'm sorry for your loss. I'm grateful for the plan of salvation and I'm sure she is happy, but sometimes it's still kind of hard to say good-bye.

Kate says, "Good-bye Aunt Ruthie! I hope you have a good time!" (she's sitting on my lap).

Jared and Delia said...

What a neat lady. Thank you for sharing her memory with us.