Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Disneyland/Beach/AZ/Fiesta Bowl


So we had a tiring vacation. I'm not sure how much I actually enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed the trip, but not the driving or sleeping on mattresses that felt like floor boards or like springs in my side making my leg go numb. Needless to say, I slept in a chair rather than not feeling my leg all night, and on the couch when the bed was too hard and when possible. So we left for CA the day after Christmas. Talk about stressful trying to enjoy the day and pack at the same time. We made it to Primm (on the border) that night. We went to In 'N Out and Bass Pro Shops which is seriously the biggest store ever. They even have a real stuffed giraffe. It's a boy's dream-boats, 4 wheelers, guns, bows, dead animals, a waterfall. The next morning in the 35 degree weather we went on the Desperado. In '95 it was in the Guiness Book for having the tallest drop at 225 ft. and fastest going 90 mph. It's an instant migraine right after the first drop, but totally worth it. I went with Bubba in the last row and JP went with dad in the last row. JP didn't get to go last year because we didn't think he was ready for it, but he loved it this year. We left after getting some healthy Mc D's breakfast and headed to my gramma's in Anaheim. We got there in the early afternoon and visited with her, my aunt, my brother Chad and Alicia and AJ who were also there to go to D-land. Then we headed to an early dinner to meet up with my best friend from high school and her mom who drove up from San Diego. SOOO great to see her after about 3 years.
The next morning we went to Disneyland. The happiest place on earth. Along with the population of the state of Idaho. No joke. They actually said that. Like 3 times more crowded than summer. So much for us thinking it wouldn't be as busy in Dec. We weren't thinking about it being a holiday. Good times. Thanks for Fast Passes. Bubba was chosen to be part of the Jedi Training Academy. They get to wear a robe and use a light saber and they teach them moves to fight the dark side. Then they fight Darth Maul and Darth Vader who is trying to convince them to move over to the dark side. We got it all on video.



I can't even tell you how many pictures I have of him making this face. It's one of my favorite expressions.


On the Winnie the Pooh ride that we frequented while everyone else was on Splash Mountain. One of Jo Jo's favorites.


In line for Nemo's Submarine ride.


He shot all by himeself on the Buzz Lightyear ride. He actually hit targets-he's very advanced for his age. ;)


Waiting in line for the Rockets.

Tues. we went to CA Adventure minus Chad who opted to go to the beach with Aunt Janet. Good thing we were already planning on going there since they actually closed D-land to new people because it was too full! Hardly anyone at CA Adventure. Fun rides and good times. Tower of Terror is my favorite.

Ready to see the awesome 3-D show from Bug's Life in Bug's Land at CA Adventure.


You might be seeing this in your Christmas card next year. We all wore our BSU gear this day. We even met other people doing the same!


C is for California!

Wed. Alicia and AJ went up north a little to visit his mission. We went to D-land in the rain. It actually only sprinkled all day-more like a mist, but it didn't deter anyone from going for the first half of the day. Towards afternoon everyone was disappearing so we got in some 5-15 min. lines. It was really cold, but really not bad. We've been in the rain in March before.

Hanging out to get warm during the rain at the Mexican restaurant next to Thunder Mtn.

Thurs. we hit the beach just to walk around. I put my toes in the sand, we walked the pier and I got one of those square dipped ice creams with sprinkles which were always my favorite thing to get there.

We headed out to AZ after that and ended up there around 11 pm just in time to watch the ball drop. We stayed with B's mom and step-dad. Thanks so much for the hospitality. Fri. we hung out with the family and went to Chinese for dinner. We missed the J & J Randalls and Jared and Delia.
Sat. morning we went and climbed up the 'A' mountain up by ASU. The boys slid down it and then we climbed even higher to the very top of the mountain. I didn't take in to account the fact that I have a seriously bad knee and ankle and the steps were really rocky and high. My knee is still hurting due to the fact that I also sat in a car for 2 days on the way home. That afternoon we met my gramma, papa punkin, and dad at my favorite wing place Nino's in Glendale. Then we went to their house and hung out and opened gifts. Oh yeah, we had to wake my brother up at 2 pm. He's 20 what else can I say? I made my dad a small scrapbook of our family and I bet B that he would cry, but B wouldn't take the bet because he knew he would. Love ya dad! Around 4:30 or so more family started to show up for gramma's famous tacos. Uncle Pat came, his daughter Ashley and her husband and 3 kids. I haven't seen her since she was about 14. Uncle Marty and his wife Amy came. My step-sister Nancy and her husband and 4 kids came too. I think that's it. Good times. My little brother Levi plays the guitar and sings in his band Kommon Measure. He played and sang for us before everyone showed up. I had no idea he could sing. He taught himself to play a few years ago. They play local clubs and even have a producer and demo. They have a sound like the band Sublime. He's written like 20 songs or so. He's great. He also skates and has been in a few competitions and was meeting with the DC shoes guys yesterday about signing with them.

Our family with my dad and brother Levi.

Mon. we packed the car and hung out with the family before heading to the Fiesta Bowl with the two oldest boys. B was "sweating like a stuck pig" (his words) on the way there in the bumper to bumper traffic worrying that we might not make it in time to see the team come out. I forgot how bad traffic could be. We made it and hiked from Alaska where we parked to the stadium. He had gotten tickets on a website that's like Ebay for tickets so we were in the 29th row close to the end zone. AWESOME seats!! We could see so clearly. We got to see my dad before the game started because he was working security on the 50 yd. line on the field behind the BSU bench. Best seats in the house, except for the fact that he isn't allowed to watch the game. It was such a great game. It was a sea of blue and orange. BSU fans took up about 3/4 of the stadium. We know how to show up. Both teams had great defense. We threw out a trick play on a 4th down where the kicker threw the ball for a pass that resulted in a touchdown! If you didn't watch it you missed out. Catch it when they replay it. The only downfall was that there was an incredibly drunk man next to us. He was seriously obnoxious. We could've reported him since we were in the family section which didn't allow alcohol, but we just wanted to watch the came. He was really irritating Bubba who was sitting at the end of the aisle and the guy kept offering him his beer every time he came back in with another one. It was a good teaching opportunity for the boys to see one of the reasons we don't drink, though. It was such an exciting game and so thrilling when we won. It was SO loud with cheering BSU fans. We have a cheer where half the people shout "Boise" and the other half shouts "State."
We left about midnight from B's mom's house which was on the other side of town, but we had to go get the two little ones that she offered to watch. Thank you so so much! They had fun with grandma and grandpa. We got to Hoover Dam about 5 am and decided to get a room just past there. It was only $20!! Score on that. We attempted to sleep, but it was more of an uncomfortable nap for B and I. For some reason it seems like it's harder to sleep when you're beyond tired. We left around 10:30 am and made the uber long drive home. We made it about 10 pm last night. The boys had to go to school today, but didn't seem to have trouble getting up this morning. I was so tired that I made their lunches in my underwear and made them take their scooters to school. I know, nice visual. Every wear we stopped yesterday was full of BSU fans. We would shout the "Boise" chant and they would finish with the "State." It was cool. We were in a caravan of fans all the way home. The cops were out in packs and lots of the fans were pulled over after speeding by us at like 90 mph. Fortunately, we chose to drive the speed limit so we were not one of them. The cops knew that everyone would be on their way home from the game and got their quotas for the month.
Felt so wonderful to sleep in our own bed with a soft mattress. Although, Jo Jo slept with us the whole trip so of course now he thinks that's where he sleeps. Hopefully by the end of the week he'll be able to sleep in his own bed again.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I'm so glad you guys got home o.k. Also, congratulations on the game--how exciting!! I know exactly how you feel about your trip. The last time we drove to California, when we finally got home I remember saying about the trip, "the kids had great time." I would have thought that Disneyland would have been less crowded in December too. Oh well, I'm glad you guys had a good time and I hope you get some good sleep now that you're home.

Jared and Delia said...

Wow what a trip! Glad it was fun and safe. Hope you get some sleep!