Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Break




It's Spring Break here and it's been uber cold and cloudy. Mon. we went to the mall and got Peanut's birthday picture done. Tues. we went and saw "Bedtime Stories" for $1, well, actually we got $3 food tickets which include your movie and two food/drink items. It was a lot of fun. Wed. we stayed home and watched "Sky High" in the morning and then JP got invited to a friend's house. Bubba was bummed, so we called no less than 7 of his friends and got not a single answer. I guess we're the only ones with no vacation money:( So anyway, he decided he was hungry and that there was NOTHING in the house that sounded good to eat, so I took him to Iceberg. They have diner type food and awesome shakes. The kid's meals come with a small cone, so he was happy. It's amazing what can make a child happy. So then we went and stocked up on bread at the Wonder bread store. I make at least two sandwiches a day for their lunches and Peanut usually has a "vread" for lunch or breakfast and the baby eats some, etc. So we go thru at least a loaf a week, sometimes more. So for some random reason Butch thought of the outlet one day and I discovered I could get 4 loaves of yummy all wheat bread for $5, which is really good. I don't know what prices are like other places, but that's super cheap for us. Anyway, yesterday the sun finally showed up. It was only supposed to be about 49, but I thought with the sunshine we'd be okay, so I took the kids to the zoo since it was half price day. We all had sweatshirts, but my goodness it was cold. The sun kept hiding behind the clouds and the wind was blowing. But we were troopers and it warmed up and was great fun. They opened a new African exhibit last fall that we hadn't seen yet, so that was exciting. We got 2 giraffes and 3 beautiful lions. They created a whole new section to the zoo with the African theme and plaques everywhere with facts about the people and animals. They really did a good job with it. Around
3:30, Butch called and asked if we were still there and since he works downtown now, he came over and hung out with us until they closed at 5 pm. It was really fun.

A few days ago when we were doing puzzles in the dining room, we could hear Jo Jo clomping up the stairs and I went to see what he was doing and I found this-

He had managed to get Peanut's shoe on and was clomping up the stairs with it. He's really into getting other people's shoes on now. He managed to get his foot into Peanut's snow boot one day and has gotten my shoe and Butch's shoe on too. What a sweet silly boy!

Then while I was vacuuming the kitchen floor, he crawled under his little saucer and sat on the platform. I guess since he can move now I don't really need it anymore, but maybe I'll keep it awhile longer so he can use it as a fort:)

So speaking of vacuuming, I came downstairs this morning to find a huge mess on top of and underneath the kitchen table-because no I do not get up as early as my two oldest sons and you can think I'm a bad mom if you want, but they can feed themselves and I'm not getting up that insanely early. Anyway, I thought, what the heck were they eating? Geez they're pigs. Why can't they clean up after themselves? So I'm vacuuming up after getting the little ones breakfast and changed, etc. and I'm looking at this white stuff like, wait a minute, this looks like sand. So I asked Bubba if they had played with the moonsand this morning and he said yes. So then instead of thinking they were messy, I was thinking, wow, they cleaned it up pretty well. They had taken all the totes back upstairs and cleaned up all, but a small amount of crumbly sand on one chair, the table, and floor. Now, why can't they clean up their food that well? There was a pop tart wrapper and edges of pop tart all over the table. I guess the edges aren't as good as the inside. And by the looks of the chocolte and the baby's face, they gave him some too while I was upstairs for a minute. And they can't turn off a light to save their lives! What the crap?! It makes me feel like the electricity nazi. My mom came up with the idea for me to charge them a nickle for each light I have to turn off and I've now started charging them a nickle for every item of clean clothing they throw in their dirty clothes basket because heaven forbid they should wear the first thing they put on. So all the "extras" get thrown on the floor and then when mom threatens their lives if they don't clean their room/closet, it all gets shoved into the dirty clothes bag. And it's one of those ginormous ones from Pottery Barn so you can fit a lot in their. I've found animals, balls, and other interesting stuff in their while doing laundry. I guess I'm ramblling...

2 comments:

Pooka said...

Sounds like you had a busy spring break. our isn't for another week. I love that your boys cleaned up all the moon sand. But I especially love that they don't eat the edge of the pop-tarts! My boys do the same thing. They don't like "crust". Have they seen the back of a pop tart?

Jared and Delia said...

Your Spring break sounds pretty relaxing.

I think $5 for a four loaves of whole wheat bread is a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad that you blog so we can keep up with you guys.