Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hairy Situation


Okay so a couple of weeks ago, I decided to darken my hair. It's just gotten to be too expensive to color my hair every other month or so and since my roots grow out brown (though the bottoms end up dirty blond naturally) I decided to go brown all the way. I can't decide if I like it. It seems so blah. I feel like I need some reddish highlights or tint to it. So I want your opinion. Of course my husband thinks it's fine, so I need a girl's opinion. You wonderful ladies with beautiful ethnic hair that never needs to be colored really stink. You know who you are and I'm very jealous. Your hair always seems really shiny too.
Next, my hair is like uber thick. It seems to have gotten thicker after having each of my babies. I'm not knocking thick hair, but it's really thick. So I have to get it thinned out every time I get a cut, but it really needs to be done in between times. Well, my mom thins hers out herself with thinning shears. So I found some for like $6 at Walmart and thought I'd give it a try. My mom's hair is really short, so if she messed up you'd never know. Well, I'm really dumb and have never watched how they do it. I guess you need to just do it underneath the top layer because it actually cuts your hair short in places. So I have one or two places on my top layer of hair that are whacked off. It mostly just looks like I have a few short layers, but still, I can tell. I'm not so sure that I'll attempt it again. Maybe next time I get it cut, I'll pay attention to the way she does it and then try again. But I just know she's going to say something about it and I'll feel really dumb, so I'm avoiding getting it trimmed again for awhile. It seems to take forever to grow out. I hate how slow my hair grows. For anyone who hasn't seen a wedding picture of me, I had it like boy short when I got married and then grew it out to about my shoulders by the time Bubba was born. (My hair grew super fast that time). Anyway, I cut it short like that again when JP was about a year old. So right before I cut it this time, it was to about the bottom of my bra. It took me all that time to grow it out. He's 6 now. My hair has actually never been that long and now I really miss it. I cut my hair when I was 10 years old. It was to my bum before that and ever since then, I've never had it long again, except when Jo Jo was born. So now the process begins again. I told Butch to absolutely stop me from cutting it again until I'm too old to have long hair anymore. Then, at least I know it'll look cute short.

3 comments:

Pooka said...

I love it dark! Highlights aren't neccesary but if u want some I'm sure they would look good. Otherwise, I just love it like that!

Jared and Delia said...

I like it dark too, but red is very flattering on you.

For the shine, have you tried those spray on shine sprays? I think Pantene has one.

I know coloring can get so expensive - especially when you have long hair. I wish I had more advice. I really think your hair looks good long too.

Janet said...

I think your hair looks great. I know what you mean when you feel like the color looks blah. I feel that way about my hair too. I used to go to this extra fancy place in Texas to get mine done, and my hairdresser actually told me that my real color does not look good with the color of my skin, eyes, etc. and that I needed to spice it up. I wish I could afford that. For now I will be happy with growing it long enough so that I can just pull it up and not look at it! My sister-in-law is a hairdresser and just got into doing these things called hair shimmers. They're teeny-tiny milar strands that you tie to individual pieces of hair at the root, sort of like extensions. Anyway, they come in all kinds of sparkly colors. She put some in Kate's and Kelly's hair. Kate pulled hers out after a few hours, but Kelly's lasted for several weeks. It was really fun for them.

O.k., and I have to say I love the picture of Bubba! He's going to be a heart breaker, so cute!
~Janet