Friday, March 6, 2009

Sick Babies and Rockin' Tunes

So a note on my playlist since I've never explained why there are a zillion songs. I LOVE music. I always have. In Jr. High and High school I would listen to it to go to sleep at night. I used to go dancing all the time in college. I just love music. It's a great way to express what you're feeling at the moment, get out your rage, etc. Anyway, I have so many songs on my playlist partly for that reason. The other reason is that I don't have a million dollars to buy the music and put it on my ipod, so this way, I can listen to cool tunes while I make dinner, clean the kitchen, do pilates, or on the computer. I just updated it today. There are a lot of current songs that I've heard on the radio and really like. And now there are also some really awesome 80's tunes. We heard a song on the radio the other night and had the conversation that they just don't make music like that anymore. I love the 80's-movies, music, the slang, and some of the classic outfits. Good times, good times. So anywho, I've added my top favorite 80's tunes. So if you have nothing better to do sometime, you should leave my blog open while you do other stuff around the house and take a listen.

Now, on to sick babies. Last weekend, Peanut came down with a cold. No big deal-a little bit of runny nose and wet cough. Well, Tues. baby came down with it. Bigger deal. Can't breathe because of snot, so running the humidifier at night. Helps a little, but also has the wet cough. My doc says no cough or cold meds for little guys under 6 because there's no proof they work or help and we don't want to medicate unnecessarily. Well, yesterday he stopped eating other than some yogurt for breakfast, which of course doesn't help the mucous, but I didn't care because at least he ate something. The day before he had eaten breakfast, but only snacked the rest of the day. Well last night he started running a fever. Around 9:30 we took his temp and it was 103. Yikes! Well, tylenol wasn't working very quickly, but he went to sleep and woke up at 1 am still burning up. I had him lay with me with a cold washcloth on his head for awhile and put him back in his bed with a prayer in my heart that he would be okay. B checked him before work around 6:30 a.m. and said the fever was gone, but he woke up for the day at 9 a.m. and was super hot again. I gave him more tylenol and took his shirt off. I called the doctor and asked when it would be a good idea to bring him in to have his ears checked and they gave me the symptoms, which he had pretty much all, but one. So I took him in and guess what? No ear infection! I hate that. I would rather him have one so I could medicate him to help him feel better. They did tell me, however, to alternate the tylenol with motrin, which is better at helping with sore throat anyway so he might finally want to eat. He's been so lethargic the last 2 days. I've literally had to hold him the entire day both days. As a matter of fact, he's on my lap while I type this (he's very helpful). I can't even put him down to go pee or put my shoes on without him completely freaking out. I so wish I could take his illness on myself. Not because I'm annoyed at holding him or anything, but because I hate to see him suffer like this. He finally ate half a graham cracker awhile ago and has a little life to him now that the fever has finally broken. Sometimes it's hard being a mommy. It's times like these where I feel a little more like I can relate to Heavenly Father. How he must wish he could take our suffering upon himself.

5 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

I am so sorry that Jo Jo is sick! Poor guy. It always worries me the most when they won't eat and when they don't want to get up and play.

We will pray for him. We hope he gets well soon!

Janet said...

I'm so sorry that your kids have been sick. Our kids have had the same thing! Kevin missed 3 days of school even. O.k, so Kenzie got sick too and same thing--no meds. Well, I couldn't see her suffer either so we turned to some homeopathic meds and they worked fantastically! Most are safe for infants and easy to take. If you have a store called The Vitamin Shop, (they're pretty common). They have homeopathic meds at reasonable prices there. I know it may sound a little out there, but they really work. She got a little of her appetite back and I was able to actually put her down a little. So I hope this helps! If you can't find some there, let me know, I could send you some, if you'd like. I really hope he gets feeling better. ~Janet

Joy said...

Sick kids are the worst. I would much rather get sick myself than have a sick baby. Especially since you're probably going to get it anyway!

Nice music, by the way.

Allysun said...

Nicloe,
I love your music. I love music too. The 80s are the best. Oh the memories.
Lol Ally

Jared and Delia said...

In response to a comment you left on my blog...I have been a blogger freak lately because of this new village blog that I am excited about, but mostly because I cannot do anything else...so why not catch up on more blogging! :) Our house is the dirtiest it has ever been since I was sick and pregnant with Reid - not that bad but getting there. It drives me nuts that it is such a chore to even get up to go to the bathroom so I have to expend energy somehow!

I hope Jo Jo is doing better. Did you guys get snow too?