Saturday, March 17, 2012

Life As I Know It

I feel like kind of a jerk lately. I don't post very often anymore, and when I do, I never think to check everyone else's blogs. So then I feel bad for not being caught up on everyone's lives. I'm going to do better. (Famous last words).

We've been busy. Coconut and Peanut just finished up swimming lessons. Peanut is an animal at the backstroke, and I'm so proud of him. With baseball starting, he won't be doing anymore, but Coco will start again at the beginning of April. I had to take JP to a doctor's appointment on Thurs., which was their last day of lessons, so dad took them, but I was able to come see the last half. And I was blown away! Coconut can swim on his back! I couldn't believe it. She taught him how to jump in, pop up (like toast), and roll onto his back (like a starfish). And now, he's swimming the length of the pool on his back. He pulls his arms out to his sides and then back into his sides again, propelling himself. JP's doctor's appointment went very well. He doesn't have to go back for 4 months. He looks great and feels great!


We had several nights of school programs. Every year, the elementary kids perform in March and all the songs and chants are about US historical people. We pretty much have all of them memorized now, since we started going to these when Bubba was in kindergarten. Peanut had his program first, the next night was JP (who also got to play the recorder for a song), and then two weeks later, the 6th grade class did a new program. Their social studies teacher wrote a program back in 1999 and they performed it this year. It was awesome. They went through the different wars in our US history, and performed songs and acted out things from each era. Bubba got to be a minuteman and sing with a couple of other kids in a loud, boisterous voice. It was fun. Then, during WWII, he got to do a swing dance. He was awesome. He has such a great voice. He warned me beforehand that there would be a part that would make everyone cry. Well, the last song happened to be about the current war in Iraq. They had one boy dressed in an air force jumpsuit, and two laptops at a table, where he sat on one side and the "wife" sat on the other side while they "video chatted." One by one, she brought their kids in to see him, ending with a girl in a graduation gown. Yeah, pretty much the whole audience was sniffling because the other kids were all singing, "American Tears." If you've never heard the song, look it up on Youtube and have a listen. I dare you to not cry.

We also had the draft for baseball. Bubba will be with his same coach from last year's regular season, but in Majors, so he's excited. He's bummed, though because he won't be on the Yankees for the first time in 4 years. JP was drafted to AAA, so yay! We don't know the coach, but one of the kids from his team last year is on his team again. We start practices Monday already. The craziness begins. I've already swept my floor for the last three days in a row, thanks to baseball dirt. I really need to make myself a schedule and get organized to keep from going crazy. With B assistant coaching again, and two kids on the same nights, it's going to be another crazy season!

My dad was here visiting all week. It was his spring break, so he drove up with my Grandma and Papa Punkin. My Grandma's sister lives up here and so she and Papa stayed with them and my dad stayed with us. He got to be here for Bubba's program and swimming lessons. Then last night, we celebrated my Papa's 80th birthday. They left first thing this morning. It was good to see everyone.

2 comments:

Delia said...

Sounds like you are busy. I wouldn't apologize!

Your boys sound like they are doing amazing. You and Brandon are such great parents.

Glad to hear JP's is in good health!

Janet said...

Good luck with Baseball season! As always, I'm sure you're all going to be successful. I am so impressed with your school's music program. I would have totally cried.