Sunday, January 23, 2011

I give up. Obviously I'm not keeping up with my goal to write more often. Sometimes I think about it and then I realize I don't really have anything new to say. It's pretty much always the same routine. School, piano, homework. JP took 3 weeks of swimming lessons. He worked on the breaststroke (he kept calling it break-stroke), backstroke and freestyle. The also worked on doing turns. He got those down pretty well. He struggled with a few things, but overall did well and passed on his test on Wed. He wants to move up to the next level and since the other two get to do piano, he'll get to do another session before baseball starts. The 3 big boys are all signed up. Holy expensive Batman! I never realized until I had my own kids how stinkin' expensive sports are. Because it's not just the sign-up fees, it's the equipment. Peanut is extremely excited (to say the least) to be playing with his brothers. He did a really cheap and cheesy t-ball this past summer. He really thought we were signing him up for Rookie, which is what JP played last year. It's coach pitch. We signed him up for 6 yr. old t-ball, though because he can't catch yet. The coach pitches, but they do it on their knees and they'll bring the tee out if the kids need it. He definitely won't need it. B made a make shift batting cage in the garage out of the netting we have from the backyard one. That kid can CRUSH the ball. We've never seen a 5 yr. old hit that hard. He not only cranks them off the tee, but hits every pitch from B. Coconut even hits a pitch every so often, but he can hit pretty hard with a big metal bat off the tee. I guess when you have big brothers who play sports, you excel when you're younger from practicing with them. Brag much? :) Anyway, they've been getting some hitting in a few nights a week. JP will move up to AA, which is the first year of kid pitch. And Bubba will stay in AAA so that he can get even better before moving up again. Plus, he was already a year ahead of where he should be. JP is a year ahead as well. B had them at the neighborhood school the other day and he said that Bubba is pitching HARD and FAST! I'm excited that he'll most likely pitch again this year. We'll have the same coach because he's one of the dad's from our football team and we told him we wanted to stick with him. This will work better anyway because now JP and Bubba will be on different nights so we'll be able to see more of their games. We'll just have to take turns with Peanut's games though (which let's face it aren't very exciting). Almost none of the kids know what they're doing and sit out there picking daisies. So we'll have baseball everyday except Sundays. I know you're thinking I'm crazy, but I love watching them so I don't mind. I actually get sad when football and baseball seasons end. I DON'T miss the driving to practices, but I LOVE to watch my kids play and enjoy themselves. It brings me joy to know that it brings them so much joy. I overheard a conversation they had with B the other night about whether they would each play pro baseball or pro football. They weren't sure because they would have to play football on Sundays. But B told them that there are a lot of great players that are LDS and are still good members of the church. I reminded them later that they play pro baseball games on Sundays as well. It made me smile though to know that they thought of something like that. Bubba says he definitely wants to play football in college. That kid is amazing at anything he tries. When Grandma Randall was here, she taught him how to play chopsticks on the piano in a couple of hours. We have to watch him though because we want to make sure he reads music and not just memorizes it.

Lastly, Coconut and I had an interesting conversation the other day. We were driving to the library and we saw a fire truck with it's lights and siren on. He said, "It has red lights on the back of it." I agreed and then he said, "That means that someone got fired." Then I told him that it could also be that someone had a car accident and crashed. He said, "Yeah, there was a crash. A truck crashed into a car because it was blue and not red." He cracks me up. He makes up stories on a daily basis. Today in sacrament he was doing his shape book and he now recognizes oval and rectangle along with all of the ones he already knew.

Well, here's to another busy week.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I always wish that I could/would blog more too--it just doesn't happen. And that's o.k.! It's really awesome that you have your kids so involved in sports. I know it makes a big difference. I'm hoping to do more with my kids this year.